Are you requesting Florida Wicks?
If you’re requesting Florida Wicks with young loose dreadlocks or no dreadlocks at all, we can serve you. However, if your dreadlocks are already well established we will not combine the full length of your dreadlocks or give you wicks. We recommend contacting Val Tuffcuts in Pahokee, Florida for a top-notch high quality service.
Here’s their instagram link – @Val_Tuffcuts on Instagram
There are limitations to Combining Dreads!
⚠️ PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE BEFORE REQUESTING THIS SERVICE!
Combining Loose Dreadlocks
- In most cases with loose / young dreadlocks we can fully combine the entire length
- The less formed, the looser, and the more “poofy” the better
- If you can stick your finger through your dreadlock we shouldn’t have any problems combining your dreadlocks
Combining Established Dreads
- Established dreadlocks rarely work when attempting to combine the entire length
- If we do combine the entire length it is the most time consuming job (well over 12 hours, sometimes 20 or 30+) and the results don’t last forever
- We’ve discontinued this full length combination for established and mature dreadlocks
Ethnicities and Hair Types
Combining Locs in Afro Dreads
- Afro Locs are the easiest to combine when they’re in the early stages
- Though rare, in some cases we may add extra hair for a stronger hold
Combining for Straight and Mixed Hair
- Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, Mixed, etc
- It’s extremely rare that we would add hair
Methods and Products for Combining Dreadlocks
- The Crochet Method is our primary method, we use this for over 95% of our work
- An overwhelming majority of our appointments for combining dreads are done solely with the crochet method
- In some cases, we may use a latch hook to pull one dreadlock inside of another
- *We ALWAYS ask before cutting anything!
- The only time we would recommend cutting hair is after we combine roots only or pull one dreadlock through another
- Sometimes we cut buldged ends of mature dreadlocks when combining with another
- We may add some extra hair to help hold the dreadlocks together
- This is rare, but most commonly used in Afro Hair
- We use the crochet method to establish a tight hold when adding extra hair
Products / String
- We never use any additional products or string for any of our services
- It’s all natural, realistic, and professional
Service Areas for Combining Dreadlocks
We are a mobile service – that means we travel to you! Select your city to learn more or continue scrolling for pricing.
Ready to schedule with us to get your Dreads Combined?
We typically have a waiting period which varies based on service area. Don’t wait around, fill out our service form today to request a quote and setup an appointment!
Have questions about how we work? Read our service FAQ:
How do I schedule an appointment with you?
To schedule an appointment please select and read over the service page that applies to you – then in the pricing section of each service page you will notice a button to “Request Quote / Appointment” when you click that button it will launch our service form – fill out that form to get a personalized quote and set up your first appointment.
Once you fill out the form the first time there is no need to fill it out again, simply contact us directly.
Get started here ↓↓↓
Dreadlock Central Services
How long will my appointment take?
Time will vary dramatically depending on what you need done. A simple root maintenance will take as little as 1 hour and a full installation will range from 6-14 hours or possibly longer for extensions. We will give you a time estimate after we review your form submission.
Where is Dreadlock Central located?
We do not have a physical shop, instead we travel from home to home as a mobile dreadlock salon and intend to keep it that way for the immediate future. You can view our services areas on our locations page!
What if I can’t set up an appointment at my house?
We can arrange to meet at other locations, or you can travel to us. This can be discussed if it is an issue. Some of our clients choose to rent a hotel room or an AirBnB or use a friend or family member’s home. If the weather is favorable we’re not opposed to meeting up in a park if you’re the outdoors type.
What forms of payment do you take?
What do I need to do before our appointment?
- Wash or deep cleanse 24-48 hours before your appointment.
- DO NOT use any conditioner or oils or any other product between this wash and your appointment.
- Make sure you have a chair that sits medium to low height, high chairs make our work difficult.
- Make sure you have sufficient lighting, dark environments make our work difficult.
- Please remove extremely hyper pets or children from the environment while we are working on your dreadlocks if possible.
Click here for our full Appointment Preparation page.
How much hair do I need for new dreadlocks?
For a new installation and/or extensions 5 inches of length is prefered, however 3 inches is the minimum.
The required length will vary depending on the size of the dreadlocks to be installed. The smaller the dreadlock, the shorter the length that is required and the larger the dreadlock, the longer your hair must be.
How much length will I lose with a new installation?
This will vary depending on your current length, dreadlock thickness, hair type, and also if you want your ends open or closed. Typically you’ll lose 3-6 inches, or sometimes more for longer hair. The good news is that you won’t lose any additional length once we install them since we crochet them.
Can I comb my dreadlocks out if I change my mind?
This is a difficult question to answer. The short answer is probably, however it’s not guaranteed. Most dreadlocks can be taken out when they’re new, however the older they get the more difficult that can be. If you decide to take them out you need to be prepared to put in a significant amount of time and patience, and you’ll pull a lot of hair out, it is not an easy process to comb out most dreadlocks.
Are dreadlocks painful?
The pain level varies between individuals and dreadlock age. The short answer, is a moderate yes. New installations and young dreadlocks tend to be less painful than older ones because your scalp usually increases in sensitivity over time as you wash less frequently. The only part of our process that will be painful is when we’re working very close to your scalp to tighten your roots.
TIP: Be sure to drink plenty of water. Dehydration may result in a sensitive scalp.
What if I have to cancel my appointment?
If you have to cancel your appointment, please notify us as early as possible so we can all adjust accordingly. The sooner, the better. Down payments are non-refundable for any cancelation less than 48 hours before the appointment, or especially for any no-show. This is especially important for appointments we travel to – because we often book other clients along our routes, and spend time and gas money traveling to you, the non-refundable down payment covers our expenses, time, and improbability to fill your time slot on such late notice which would otherwise be wasted.
If you have any questions after reading our FAQ please ask in the service form.
Need a different service?
Select a service below